Arone Raymond Meeks
Biographical notes: Avril Quaill, Fiona Foley, Fernanda Martinez, Bronwyn Bancroft, Tracey Moffatt, Aarone Raymond Meeks, Brenda L. Croft, Jeffrey Samuels, Michael Riley and Euphemia Bostock were the founding members of Boomalli Aboriginal Artists Co-operative in 1987.
Arone means 'black crane' and was given to him by his late friend Thancoupie.
region: North East Coast
Community: Sydney, Townsville, Dunk Island
Language: Kuku Midigi
Local group: Kugangi
Medium: Linocut prints, carved and painted wooden sculpture, ceramics and book illustration.
Awards: 1993 - Awarded the UNICEF Best International Children's book Award.
1988, Crichton Award for Children's Book Illustration; Aboriginal National Theatre Trust Award for Excellence in Visual Arts.
Bibliography: 1986, Urban Koories, exhib. cat., Workshop Arts Centre, Willoughby, New South Wales. (C)
1989, A Koori Perspective, exhib. cat., Artspace, Sydney. (C)
1989, Australian Perspecta 1989, A Biennial Survey of Contemporary Australian Art, exhib. cat., Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney. (C)
1989, Nothing to Celebrate? Australian Aboriginal Political Art and the Bicentennial, exhib. cat., Flinders University Art Museum. (C)
1990, Balance 1990: Views, Visions, Influences, exhib. cat., Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane. (C)
Aboriginal Arts Management Association, 1990, Contemporary Aboriginal Art 1990 - from Australia (presented by the Aboriginal Arts Committee, Australia Council and Third Eye Centre, Glasgow), exhib. cat., Redfern, New South Wales. (C)
Berndt, C. H., 1987, Pheasant and Kingfisher, illustrated by Ray Meeks, Bookshelf Books, Horwitz Grahame Pty. Ltd., United Kingdom.
Boomalli Five Koorie Artists (d: Michael Riley) 1988. (C)
Butler, R., 1986, 'From dreamtime to machine time,' Imprint 21(3-4), 12,13. (C)
Caruana, W., 1993, Aboriginal Art, Thames and Hudson, London. (C)
Isaacs, J., 1989, Aboriginality: Contemporary Aboriginal Paintings and Prints, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, Queensland. (C)
Johnson, T. and Johnson, V.,1984, Koori Art '84, exhib. cat., Art Space, Sydney. (C)
Johnson, V., 1987, Art and Aboriginality, exhib. cat., Aspex Gallery, Portsmouth, UK.
Lambert, A., 1984, 'Shattering the myth that Aboriginal art exists only in traditional forms,' Australian Artist, 1(4), 24-25. (C)
McCulloch, A., & McCulloch, S., 1994, The Encyclopedia of Australian Art, Allen & Unwin Pty Ltd, St Leonards, New South Wales.
Meeks, A.R., 1991, Enora and the Black Crane, Ashton Scholastic, Sydney. (C)
Queensland Art Gallery, Story Place, Indigenous Art of Cape York and the Rainforest, QAG, Brisbane, 2003.
Samuels, J. and C. Watson, 1987, Australian Aboriginal Views in Print and Poster, Print Council of Australia, Melbourne.
Scott-Mundine, D., 1990, 'Black on Black: an Aboriginal perspective on Koori art,' Art Monthly Australia Supplement (The land, the city - the emergence of urban Aboriginal art), 7-9. (C)
Stamp Bulletin - Australia, Jan 1986, Melbourne, No. 182.
Watson, C., 1987, Dalkuna Mnunuwuy Nhe Rom, exhib. cat., Foreign Exchange, Armadale, Victoria.
Watson, C., 1990, 'The Bicentenary and beyond: recent developments in Aboriginal printmaking,' Special Double Issue Artlink 10(1&2), 70-73. (C)
- 2007 - Boomalli - 20 years on, featuring the following artists: Bronwyn Bancroft, Brenda L Croft, Fiona Foley, Arone Raymond Meeks, Tracey Moffatt, Michael Riley, Jeffrey Samuels at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney.
- 2003 - Story Place, Indigenous Art of Cape York and the Rainforest, Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane; 20th Telstra National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art Award, Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory, Darwin.
- 1993 - Commitments, MOCA, Brisbane 1993
- 1990 - Balance 1990: views, visions, influences, QAG, Brisbane
- 1984 - Koori Art '84, Artspace, Sydney; Malu Urul, National Maritime Museum, Sydney
- 1993 - Ten years of acquisitions, from ANU collection, Drill Hall Gallery ACT
- 1990 - Painted Ship, Painted Oceans, S. H. Ervin Gallery, Sydney
- 1989 - A Koori Perspective, Artspace, Sydney; Aboriginal Art: The Continuing Tradition, National Gallery of Australia, Canberra.
- 1988 - Craft Council exhibition, Sydney; Aboriginal Artists Gallery, Sydney; Perc Tucker Gallery, Townsville; Capricorn Galleries, Port Douglas, Queensland; Defacto Apartheid, Performance Space, Sydney; ANCAAA and Boomalli, Boomalli Ko-op, Sydney
- 1987 - Cooper Gallery, Sydney; Dalkuna Mnunuway Nhe Rom, Foreign Exchange Gallery, Armadale, Victoria; Art and Aboriginality, Aspex Gallery, Portsmouth, UK; Aboriginal Australian views in print and poster, travelling exhibition, Print Council of Australia; Coo-ee Emporium, Sydney; Australian Geographics
- 1986 - Urban Koories, Willoughby Workshop Arts Centre, Sydney
- 1984 - The First National Aboriginal Art Award Exhibition, Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory, Darwin
- 1983 - Contemporary Aboriginal Art, Bondi Community Pavilion, Sydney
- 1982 - Aboriginal Week Exhibition, AGNSW
- 1981 - Artists for Aboriginal Land Rights, Ampira, Sydney
- 1980 - Seymour Centre, Sydney
- 1978 - Travelling exhibition in Germany: Munich, Dusseldorf and Kline