synthetic polymer paint on Belgian linen
122 x 61 cm
Papunya Tula Artists, NT Cat No. PT0511171
Private Collection, ACTStory
Patrick Tjungurrayi was born near Jupiter Well and walked into the Old Balgo Mission that was established in 1943. After the community moved to its current location in 1962, he worked constructing the church and other buildings and painted for Warlayirti artists until the early 1990s when he moved once more to settle in Kintore. He subsequently painted for Papunya Tula Artists until his death in 2018.
This work depicts a site in the Western Desert associated with the mythological Tingari beings who travelled over vast stretches of the country, performing rituals and creating and shaping particular sites. The Tingari Men were usually followed by Tingari Women and accompanied by novices and their travels and adventures are enshrined in a number of song cycles. These mythologies form part of the teachings of post initiatory youths as well as providing explanations for contemporary customs.
Stories associated with the Tingari are of a secret sacred nature and only related in full to initiated men.